Life Care Planner (lifecare)
Life Care Planner
LIFE CARE PLANNERS (LCP) have a role in creating dynamic documents based upon comprehensive assessments, research, and data analysis for individuals who need medical care for the rest of their lives as a result of a catastrophic injury or chronic illness. These plans provide insight into an individual’s current and future medical, psychological, and rehabilitation needs. Nurses and other qualified healthcare providers can undergo specialized training to become Certified Life Care Planners (CLCPs). Physicians can also serve as live care planners and most Physician Life Care Planners hail from the field of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (PM&R). Physicians are also eligible to become Certified Physician Life Care Planners (CPLCP) via the American Academy of Physician Life Care Planners. More commonly, nurses serve as LCPs and work closely with other medical and surgical disciplines involved in the individual’s care, and with other designated experts involved in the individual’s case.
The following areas are examples of what may be addressed in a specific life care plan:
- Future evaluations (health-related treatment such as physical therapy, psychology, speech therapy)
- Future therapeutic modalities
- Aids for independent functioning
- Diagnostic tests
- Educational assessments and needs
- Mobility aids, wheelchairs, home ventilators, assistive furniture
- Home care or facility care needs
- Future medical care
- Future surgical treatments and medical care
- Orthotic and prosthetic requirements
- Assistive technology needs
- Transportation needs
- Architectural home renovations
- Aids for independent function
- Recreational equipment
The role of a Life Care Planner is that of an educator, and their role in litigation is indispensable for both plaintiff and defense. Experience and expertise are of the utmost importance when LCPs prepare comprehensive life care plans, assisting in expert witness preparation and cross examination, determining required versus elective equipment, and documentation for Medicare Set-Asides. To secure a hand-selected Life Care Planning expert for your case, please contact Elite Medical Experts and speak with a physician or nurse on our Case Strategy Team.
Ready to share
a few details?
A Case Strategist will respond right away: