Bariatric Surgery Expert Witness
A Bariatric Surgery expert witness is a surgeon who testifies about the standard of care for lap bands, gastric bypass, and other bariatric procedures. Bariatric Surgery, also known as weight loss surgery, is a subspecialty of General Surgery involving the surgical modification of the gastrointestinal tract in order to treat extreme obesity. Common bariatric procedures include gastroplasty (i.e. “stomach stapling”), vertical banded gastroplasty, gastric bypass (i.e. “Roux-en-Y” procedure), vertical banded gastroplasty, and the adjustable gastric band (i.e. “lap band”). Bariatric Surgery does not include cosmetic procedures for removal of body fat such as liposuction or abdominoplasty. These latter procedures are typically performed by a Plastic Surgeon.
Given the predominance of obesity in the United States, Bariatric Surgery is one of the fastest growing surgical specialties. Consequently, the incidence of surgical complications is on the rise and the role of the Bariatric Surgery expert witness is in high demand. Litigation in Bariatric Surgery commonly results from allegations of perforation, leakage, infection, or improperly performed procedures resulting in malabsorption and malnutrition.
Bariatric Surgery Case Matter
From the most common gastric bypass surgery to the latest endoscopic surgical techniques, Elite Medical Experts reviews all aspects of Bariatric Surgery-related litigation and consultation, including:
- Adjustable gastric band (“Lap band”)
- Biliopancreatic diversion (BPD, BPD/DS, or “Scopinaro” procedure)
- Endoluminal sleeve
- Roux-en-Y Gastric bypass
- Incisionless weight loss procedures
- Malabsorptive weight loss procedures
- Mixed malabsorptive-restrictive procedures
- Natural Orifice Transendoluminal Surgery (“NOTES” procedure)
- Primary Obesity Surgery Endoluminal (“POSE” procedure)
- Repair of Surgery Endoluminal (“ROSE” procedure or trans-oral surgery)
- Restrictive class of weight loss procedures
- Revision weight-loss procedures
- Sleeve gastrectomy (Vertical gastric sleeve)
- Sleeve gastrectomy with duodenal switch
- StomaphyX revision procedure
- Vertical banded gastroplasty (“Stomach stapling” or “Mason” procedure)
- Weight loss balloon systems
Given the complexity of Bariatric Surgery, an experienced Board-Certified Bariatric Surgeon from a top university medical center is an invaluable resource for challenging assignments. To secure a hand-selected Bariatric Surgery expert witness who is ready to work with you, please contact Elite Medical Experts and speak with a physician or nurse on Elite’s experienced Case Strategy Team today.
A Case Strategist will respond right away: