Medical Genetics & Genomics
Genetics & Genomics Expert Witness
A Medical Genetics expert witness (Medical Geneticist) testifies on genomics, genetic testing, counseling, hereditary disorders, and metabolic disorders. Medical Genetics & Genomics is a specialty of medicine that evaluates hereditary disorders. This can involve cytogenetic, molecular, genomic, and biochemical testing to help providers evaluate and treat genetic disorders. Following medical school, Geneticists must undergo specialized training during residency in order to be eligible for certification by the American Board of Medical Genetics and Genomics. In addition, there are several primary and subspecialty areas in which Geneticists may focus ion their career or as a Medical Genetics expert witness. These include:
- Clinical Biochemical Genetics: A Geneticist in this area will primarily focus on directing and interpreting laboratory biochemical genetic analyses of inherited metabolic disorders. Often, they are considered consultants.
- Clinical Genetics and Genomics: In this area, the Geneticist will be a Medical Doctor (MD) who is competent in diagnosing, managing, treating, and counseling individuals and families who are at risk for genetic disorders.
- Laboratory Genetics and Genomics: This specialty requires competence in the analyses of clinical cytogenetic and molecular genetics. Their role is to consult and assist in the diagnosis and management of genetic disorders.
- Medical Biochemical Genetics: In this area of specialty, competence in direct care and counseling for individuals who have been diagnosed with inborn errors of metabolism is required. The age spectrum can include those who present with clinical findings in infancy through adulthood.
- Molecular Genetic Pathology: A Pathologist in this area of expertise demonstrates competence in molecular biology and molecular genetics to identify disorders that occur through gene mutation, during human development, infectious disease processes, and malignancies. The role of this specialty is to apply laboratory techniques to provide information for the diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis of various genetic disorders.
A Medical Genetics expert witness may be called to provide expert testimony on cases involving genetic disorders where the diagnosis, management, or treatment of a disorder is in question. To secure a hand-selected Medical Geneticist expert witness who is ready to shed light on complex issues, please contact Elite Medical Experts and speak with a physician or nurse on our Case Strategy Team
A Case Strategist will respond right away: